Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Royal " I Will's "

Just your "run of the mill" ordinary future King & Queen


As most of you would have already guessed, I was one of those individuals who woke up early to watch the Royal Wedding. No matter what most may say or think of "the Royals" no one does "fairy-tale" quite like them!  Even the hardest of hearts would have been moved by the magnificent display of yesterday's wedding ceremony.  I watched on with bated breath (as did most of the world) and hung on every word.  It was truly a beautiful spectacle to see.  One of grace, tradition and elegance. 

 It was a beautiful ceremony, both visually and spiritually. We all forget that about weddings sometimes.  The fact that it's about the spiritual connection between two people.  It was a clear reminder to me of how humble old scripture words truly are.  I suppose being a writer, this was one of my most treasured moment of the entire day.  The sermon emphasized the true importance of marriage, and that it is not to be entered into lightly.  That marriage is a union for life.  Something most of us forget.  The readings mystified you by speaking simple truths.  That a wedding is for a day, but that a marriage is for an entire lifetime. 

I truly thought that the Bishop of London set the tone for the day, with the most beautiful wedding sermon that I have ever had the pleasure of hearing.  He began by quoting St. Catherine of Siena, whose feast day was yesterday.  A quote that will remain with me, all the days of my life: "Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire."  A notion that rings true in all areas of our lives, without question.  However, St. Catherine meant this quote to describe marriage.  That marriage is intended to be a way in which man and woman help each other to become what God meant each one to be, their deepest and truest selves.  A truly vivid and powerful statement.


After reading up on some other bloggers, and what they had to say about the "Royal Wedding", I came across a very bold and interesting statement made by a man by the name of: Paul Caccavari.  It caught my attention because it made a great deal of sense.  He (as I) was captivated by the Bishop's sermon and made reference to a certain fact that I found incredibly interesting.  During the ceremony, the Bishop said something that no one in the media seemed to find noteworthy, perhaps because it was to them a "dog bites man" story: "As the reality of God has faded from so many lives in the West...." Yes, the sacrament was lost, and only the spectacle seen, like smoke seen from a distance too far to observe the fire itself.  A rather bold, but real statement.  We may have all in fact forgotten our roots.

The entire day was beautiful, but what made it even more so for me was the fact that it was real.  It wasn't about two individuals with a right and proper duty to marry, based on their birthright or correct pedigree.  Rather it was simply about love, about friendship and truly wanting to spend the rest of your life with no other.  After all, should this not be what anyone feels on their wedding day?  Sadly, the answer to that question is no.  It reaffirmed for me just how important tradition is and what kind of role it plays within my life.  Like the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, I respect it -but will never be a slave to it. 

It was the kind of day that made one believe in fairy-tales again. 


classic Catherine who arrived as plain Miss Middleton: Modest but exquisite craftsmanship, French and English lace bodice over silk, gathered at waspish waist into a flaring skirt with trailing train of more than two metres.  On her head Catherine wore a diamond tiara — she is said to have wanted a garland but was dissuaded. It was the Cartier “Halo’’ tiara, made in 1936 and given to the Queen as an 18th birthday present from her mother, inclusion here the “something borrowed’’ for a bride. Crafted to match the circlet were Kate’s drop diamond earrings. Designed with an acorn motif — inspired by the Middletons’ new family crest — the earrings were given to the bride as a wedding gift from her parents.
A modern day Grace Kelly.  SHE wore the dress, the dress didn't wear her!!!  Prince William in Red Officer Uniform.  Simply Smashing!


It made me think about having my own someday.  The beautiful church, beautiful readings from ancient scriptures and looking into the eyes of the man I love and feeling safe.  Safe in knowing that he truly loves me, just as much as I love him.  That we are here together because God loved us enough to create us for each other.  It made me realize that you could truly have anything in this world, along with all it's riches but without love we are utterly poor. 

What i will remember most about this day is how they looked at one another with such love and true excitement for their future.  Just a boy in love with his girl. 



I truly wish them a long, happy and fulfilling life together.  May they exceed everyone's expectations as well as their own. 

Congratulations to you both, and thank you for reminding me that fairy-tales really can come true!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment