Saturday, October 30, 2010

Intimate & Interactive With The Writer


Since I began this blog page, many of you have continuously written me to give you more of an insight into who the "woman behind the writing" is.  I thought I was doing so with my words, but it seems that you all want a little more.  So, I've decided to dedicate a few blog entries to doing just that. This will be my first.  Others will follow periodically throughout my time here with you; but with no real agenda.  So I suppose you will just have to "tune in" every now and again and look for them.

Back to Basics:

I am currently 36 years old, of  southern Italian decent, but born and raised in Toronto, Canada.
I am the eldest of three, but for many reasons most think I am the youngest.  I used to find it a bit insulting growing up but looking back I realized that there were many great reasons why others associated me as such.  Reasons to which am very proud of today.

The Essence:

I'm a pretty simple/down to earth kinda gal with very complex ideas. I am an incredible romantic and always treat those around me with the utmost respect, love and kindness. I'm someone who is just good to people-even those who seldom deserve it.  Those who truly know me best would say that I "wear my heart on my sleeve" way too much within this life. That people use my kindness and trust for their own agendas. I choose not to fixate myself on all that negativity. As a very wise young man once said: "People are people, we live for our own. Live by what you believe, not by what you've been told"  All I have ever worried about is simply "doin' me" that's it. What others choose to do is simply that- their choice. After all, there is never harm done when you're sending "good energy" out into the universe. 

Background:

As far back as I can remember I have always loved learning things.  It didn't really matter what it was, I just wanted to know as much about "everything" as I possibly could. Which I suppose is why I loved school so much.  I was completely fascinated with all the different things I could shove into my brain, on any given day.  Yet, school taught me so much more than that.  It wasn't solely about learning a curriculum but about learning what your place was to be in this world. Not a place others believed should be yours, but a place YOU BELIEVED could be.  I have always been a strong believer in education.  It's a vital component in life.

Most of my life I believed that my truest love was music.  Something about it made me come alive in ways I never would have imagined possible.  I owe this love to my Grandmother, Ernestina.  Growing up she always encouraged me to learn music.  Til this day, one of my most treasured memories was our home always filled with music.  She always asked me to sing, so I sang every song I ever heard for her.  I remember saying to her one day, " I don't know any more songs to sing" and she replied, "Well, you know how to write don't you?  So write some songs of your own and sing those to me".  She must have read my mind because the next thing she said went something like: " Don't you look at me like I'm crazy, go do it.  It'll be fun"  Alas, if she could only see me now.  I miss her so much!

Growing up I was lead vocalist in a couple of different bands in Toronto.  The first experience mainly explored performing covers from various popular artists.  It was a lot of fun, but it lacked the creativity I craved.  The second band I joined was filled with individuals who wanted to make their own music and very much needed a lead who believed the same.  Although, music is one of my greatest loves, I found my truest one in the midst of it. Writing. I had gone back to my roots again.  I realized at an early stage in my life that writing gave me a greater high than even music could. So I stepped out of the lime light and dabbled in lyrical/music writing.

It wasn't until my final year of high school that I really began short story/article writing.  I had a wonderful English teacher who pushed me to explore this area further.  He was the very first person to tell me that my writing reminded him of "Shakespeare" and that I owed it to myself and the world to share it.  Again, like that moment so long ago with my Grandmother, I thought "the man is crazy" and I told him so on many different occasions.  I didn't know much about Shakespeare in those days, but he fixed all of that.  Til this day, I can recite one of the most famous Shakespearean soliloquies ( To Be Or Not To Be) by heart - all thanks to him.  He told me once that "true beauty can only be captured with words".  A picture or a scene can catch it, but only words can capture it's essence.  How incredibly true that is.



More on Gia to come in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment