Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Vassiliki Droutsas





Today is going to be one of the hardest days of my life.

Today, I say goodbye to a woman who has been like a Mother to me.
my heart is broken in pieces right now, I feel quite fortunate and blessed. For you see, there are many people out there who don't have a Mother or perhaps never knew one in their lifetime. I, on the other hand was blessed with three of them: My original beloved Mother by birth (Chiara), my beloved and missed Mother (my Grandmother Ernestina) and my suddenly departed and beloved Mother (Vassiliki).

I could sit here and write to you about everything this woman meant to me, but it would only cast a small glimmer of light on who she truly was. She was definitely someone you had to experience "in real life" to get the meaning of my interpretation. I will never forget her and all she represented.

She was one of those individuals where everything was acceptable or explainable. She lived her life to the fullest and didn't believe it should be censored in any way. Something that my best friend and I (her daughter) giggled about during these last few days.

What I loved most about her was the way she made everyone around her feel loved. Again, it was something you just had to witness for yourself to truly understand. It didn't matter if she knew you 20 years, 20 days or 20 hours, she always made you feel like one of her own children.

A woman who loved a house full of people at all times. She loved noise...lol
Be it chatter, laughter or splashes we would all make in her swimming pool.

One of my fondest sounds was her laugh. It was so contagious, so loving and so child like. Another would have to be the Greek music that echoed from every corner of her home all the time. She loved it and in turn I loved it too. She would always tell me about the different singers and dances she loved. God she was so graceful and free. Now she's gone and the world is so quiet I could die..

I miss her so much I ache all over. I cannot believe she was taken away from me so soon.

At times for this reason I get so mad at myself for being THIS CLOSE to anyone. For when you are it kills you when they leave you. "Never invest in people, cuz they always leave" My very own personal quote and something I truly believed in for most of my life. Yet the more I have tried to distance myself from all those around me in my lifetime, the more God opens my heart and allows me to love and be loved. Something I will have to discuss with him when I get to Heaven someday. A personal joke between him and I no doubt.
I want to love less and less and he MAKES ME love more and more. Yet, I suppose am thankful he has made me someone who always wears her heart on her sleeve, because I couldn't imagine going through life any other way. For I'd rather bleed from cuts of love then go through life ever living without it's scars.

I sit here in bed writing all of this in tears...

Wondering how the rest of the day will unfold. In a way I hope it moves quickly. Yet in another way, I hope it lasts forever.

This may be the last day I see her body, but I take comfort in the fact that she will always be with me in spirit.

My deepest condolences go out to my beloved "Greek Family"

Your Mother/Wife was the truest measure of any human being and will be sadly missed.

To my second Mother in life: Vassiliki:

Words could never fully come to express all that you have meant to me; within this life. I will forever treasure our memories together and hold them close within my heart. You were a woman of many talents, many pleasures and many tastes. All of which were exquisite.

You were one of the most kind and generous souls that I ever had the pleasure of meeting upon this earth. You opened up your home to anyone and gave food, shelter, support and love to all of us. We all call you "Our Mother" because that is exactly who you were to all of us. If there was ever anyone who ever spoke ill will of you, may they be forgiven today and shown mercy/forgiveness by God. These people never really knew the true essence of the Lady you were or how selflessly you gave of yourself each day.

You were spectacular in every way and I am both honored and privileged to have stood beside you for a moment within this lifetime. Now you are in Heaven and without a doubt the brightest star within our sky.Thank you for all you have given me throughout the years: Love, courage, laughter, the love of flowers, respect and kindness. Most of all, thank you for giving me the gift of your daughters: Georgina & Nektaria. They have been my sisters and my beckons of light, in every storm. They are true examples of who you were and love them as I have loved you: dearly and whole-heatedly.

Sleep well dear Mother

Until we meet again….












No comments:

Post a Comment