Monday, October 25, 2010

Dream, Dream, Dream ...

"I'm too busy chasing stars, to care how silly you think my dreams are"..Gia

At what time did people stopping believing in dreams?  I mean, do people actually go around their daily lives without a purpose?  Without a dream?  The sheer thought of it makes me utterly sad.

I was in line with a friend tonight, at the voting poll no less, when someone behind me actually felt the need to blurt out their opinion on our conversation.

 I haven't seen this particular friend in sometime, so we were trying to catch one another up on our lives before it was our turn to vote.  So I told him about the book I had finally begun to write and how wonderful it was that there were a couple of publishing houses that were interested in my work.  He relayed in return how great he thought it was that I was finally going after my dream and how important it was to never let go of what I believed in-no matter what the odds. I fully agreed and communicated that I was definitely a "dreamer girl" at heart and had no intention of letting my feet touch the ground for the moment.  This was my time, my one chance to go for it, and that was exactly what I was planning on doing.

Then, all of the sudden out of the clear blue, I hear a voice over my shoulder.  A deep, raspy sarcastic voice letting me know what he thought about "me and my dreams".  "Dreams are silly things adults tell little children to keep them in check" is what this man decided to blurt out from behind me.  My friend and I looked at one another and then immediately turned to look at the shell of the individual currently on a soap box.
The man again opened his mouth to speak:  "It's true", he said.  " and you don't look like a little girl to me, so stop dreaming and get it through your head.  Dreams are for stupid lazy people, who think they can try to get out of working the asses off -for the rest of their damn lives"  I'm not certain, but that may have in fact been the exact time that I wanted to just slap him.  Twice!  Once for being rude, and secondly for being such a pompass ass. 

Yet, it wasn't long at all that my frustration of this man's ignorance turned into pity for him instead.  I began to think about how incredibly horrible this man's entire existence must have been to believe such garbage.  This man's dreams were clearly broken at a very young age.  That must be the answer, because I wasn't ready to accept the fact that this man standing before me was just that mean.  All I could do was stare at him in utter amazement.  I had a million things I wanted to say, but when I opened my mouth nothing came out.  Finally, my friend looked at him and said:  "Well I guess we're just a couple of stupid kids, then aren't we?" The man just shook his head and mumbled something underneath his breath. 

I cannot believe that there are people out there that allow "life" to take away their dreams; or their ability to hold on to any.  Of course life rears it's ugly head every now and again, but why do we allow life events to shadow who were are and what we believe in.  Who are we if we do not stand for something?  If we do not believe in something?  If we do not dream of change?  I for one will never allow "life" to diminish who I am or what dreams I wish to fulfill.  I cannot change the events that will happen to me within this life. I have no control over this aspect of things.  However, what I do have control over are my emotions.  I and I alone, have the power to decide what these events will mean to me.  That being said, I will never allow anything or anyone own the definition of who I am or how big I wish to dream. 

Now thinking back on it, several hours later, I truly feel sorry for the man in my line up tonight.  It is unfathomable to me that someone/something along the way destroyed that mans hopes and dreams.  That at some point he was told to "grow up and stop dreaming".  I think it's truly important to remain a child somewhere within your heart at any age.  It's that very innocence that dreams are made of.  The very thing that makes them come alive.  I am so sorry that this was stolen from him and tonight I pray that somehow he regains that spirit-and dares to dream once more.

"No one should negotiate their dreams. Dreams must be free to fly high. No government, no legislature, has a right to limit your dreams. You should never agree to surrender your dreams" .... Jesse Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment